May 12, 2021

You wake up today with the superpower of your choosing

Sunny afternoon at Love Lake

The superpower I would like to have is to be able to see my life story from the beginning up to current. Like in a movie where each action, spoken words, emotions not just mine but also those around me, waves of laughter, sad moments; when my orange kitten died under the bakery van parked outside our home and it was my cousin's van; whenever I pray the rosary when it rains because I want to see the sunshine again; the afternoon when I cried so much knowing that my mother has gone to the market and she has gone for too long; whenever she comes back home late from the market and the joy of seeing her back home; the days whenever I intently pick up the phone after the second time it has rung because it is the polite way to do it; those afternoons spent in my parents garden surrounded by all kinds of plants that I usually ready comics or story to because I believed they will be happy if I read them a story; those afternoons spent at sea with my family, friends, and everyone in the village - it was like a fiesta whenever it rains because everyone is in the sea enjoying the moment; those sunny afternoons with friends when we go out to get fishes, clams and others and then we cook them at the back of our home and eat together; those sandcastles, kites, and street games we used to play; those evenings when I sneaked out to have a night swimming with my friends; those days when I get to commute on my own from home to school and vice versa; those days when I feel sick but not really and would make sure to put hot water on my forehead so that my mother would believe that I am indeed sick and would not let me go to school but for some reason she always knows I'm just acting up; those first day of school feels; those fun days at school from running around the campus when I was in elementary up to spending free time along the corridors with friends and singing along to the guitar being played in high school; when I was into music and tried to play all the music instruments at home: drums, guitars, piano, among others; when I played as rhythm guitar for my band and we played on stage during battle of the bands in high school; those moments spent at the library along or with friends; those stories I have read inside the high school and elementary libraries; those evenings spent at the bar with friends to watch our favorite band play our favorite songs; those moments at school where my family was also part of; my high school graduation; all the family gatherings; the days when I felt lonely because I am missing my parents so much; the days when I felt super happy because my siblings are there all the time until now; the days when I felt alone again because my siblings are starting to have their own families; the days when I understood that's how life is; those fun days with family when we grew vegetables at home; the university years when I met so many amazing people from all walks of life; the pride of being part of a great community at my university; the joys and sorrows of being an engineering student; the adventures spent with friends every end of semester; the fun Friday nights with friends; those wonderful family getaways to the beach, to the farm, to another city, road trips, and vacations... and so on. I am happy to remember all these moments after thirty years. There are so much more - probably some of them are written here in this tiny space on the internet. One day, I will be able to get that superpower. It may not be in a form that I wanted it to be, but in a written story, in a form of a book. Maybe. Or maybe not. At least I have this tiny blog to help me remember these things in the next decade of my life. 💛

2 comments:

  1. Remembering the moments of our life in somewhat chronological order is such an emotional roller coaster ride. We remember the childhood days well spent but the realization that they are never gonna come back is just too much to handle. You remember the cousins and friends who were your bestsest of the buddies but now are too busy in their own lives and hustles. You remember the old houses, the places you once visited, how the gardens smelled, what the villages looked like, your college days, the fun you had, the people you hurt, the people who resented you, the university fests, the weekend trips you took, the friends house you visited. It's so so so overwhelming. It's a different experience to remember all this and it leaves you in a mixed state of nostalgia, teary eyed yet elated all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed you have summarized all that there is to look at in this roller coaster ride. Although it is very painful and satisfactory to let yourself get lost in nostalgia, it is important to remember your most cherished memories (be it good and bad) to keep you reminded of your life's journey.

      Delete